- Exfoliate 1 – 2 days in advance! Wax at least 24 hours in advance. It is best to shave at minimum 8 hours prior to your session to allow your pores to calm for a smoother spray tan application.
- Manicures and pedicures should be done in advance of your spray tan session. If you get one just before your appointment, wipe or shower off all oils and lotions.
- Remove any remnant color from previous spray tan or self tanners.
- Day-of session please shower using oil-free products. NO DOVE SOAP. Rinse well. It is okay to shower immediately before your appointment, as long as your skin is cool and dry for your tan.
- Come clean. NO deodorants, lotions, makeup, or perfumes. Presence of these items on your skin can affect the way your skin reacts to the solution.
- Wear dark, loose fitting clothing to your appointment. Sports bras, tight tops, jeans, and tennis shoes can cause uneven development.
- Wear flip-flops or flats. Loose socks and boots can also be worn after your session.
- After the session, wear dark, loose-fitting clothing. Going bra-less (or w/ strapless bra) is recommended. Avoid sweating or coming into contact with water.
- You may wash your hands but try to wait at least a couple hours. Avoid getting the back of the hands/wrists wet.
- When you shower, use a moisturizing body wash to keep your skin hydrated. Avoid loofahs, scrubs, and wash cloths for the week after your tan. Shave sparingly. Pat your skin dry after you shower, don’t rub your skin with the towel. Avoid taking long hot showers and baths.
- Moisturize your skin at least once a day. A gentle moisturizer or coconut oil is recommended. Check your lotion ingredients to ensure they are free of mineral oil and petroleum. You’ll also want to refrain from using products with retinols, alpha hydroxy acid, glycolic and lactic acid.
- Avoid conventional aerosol (spray) sunscreens because they will strip your color faster! Stick to gentle, lotion sunscreens.
What can I wear during my session?
It is your preference on what kind of tan lines you want or if you want any tan lines at all. Ladies, you may wear as much or as little as you feel comfortable with, from a dark colored bathing suit, to topless, to nude. Men, we ask that you wear a dark colored swimsuit, boxer-briefs or speedo. Sorry guys, but we don’t allow our male clients to go nude.
Will the spray tan stain my clothes?
No, the solution will not stain your clothes or sheets. Normal laundering in cold water should remove any discoloration. If you have an evening session and sleep in your spray tan, you may want to cover your bed with dark sheets and pillow cases or wear full pajamas, so that the bronzer does not rub off on your regular sheets.
What can I expect in my spray tan session?
- The technician will perform a quick consultation to determine what results you want and the appropriate solution for your skin type.
- Please inform your technician of any skin issues or trouble spots you may have had with other sunless tanning products. Also, please inform us ahead of time if you are pregnant.
- The full spray session typically takes 15-20 minutes. For a single mobile tan, about 30-40 minutes with set-up and breakdown.
- Do not worry if your hands, face and feet appear lighter than the rest of your body. These areas are purposely airbrushed lighter because they develop more than other areas of the body.
Where can the spray tan be done?
How long will my spray tan last?
Will I look orange?
What if I have fair skin?
Does sunless tanning have UV protection?
Sunless tans do not provide any UV protection. It is best to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen on the face and body daily. We recommend lotion-based sunscreens over aerosol sunscreens due to the drying effect spray sunscreens have on your skin.
What are the advantages of sunless tanning?
Tanning from the sun or tanning beds (even the so-called safe “UVA-only” beds) causes damage to the skin, leading to premature aging, fine lines, wrinkles and potentially skin cancer. You have made the safe choice by deciding to get a sunless tan. You get a beautiful, healthy glow as well as a full body anti-aging skin treatment with all of the great moisturizing, botanical ingredients found in our organic sunless formulas. Be kind to your skin, it’s the only skin you get!
How do I extend the life of my spray tan?
With the classic bronzing service, it takes 10-16 hours for your tan to reach it’s full color so it’s best to wait at least that long to shower. The longer you wait, the better your results. However, with the rapid bronzing service, you’ll want to rinse when your technician advises you to. With the rapid, the longer you leave it on, the darker your tan will get. And for both formulas – a warm, quick rinse – NO SOAP – is best for the first shower.
After-care products are KEY to maintaining the life of your bronze tan. Anything with retinol, AHAs, lactic acid, even acne/blemish treatments will fade your tan faster. If you can, stay away from these products along with any products that contain mineral oil or petroleum.
We carry a full line of tan extenders, self tanners, and moisturizing spray tan-friendly body care items. We are always happy to answer any questions you may have concerning products so please don’t hesitate to ask!