No one wants their makeup to slide off by lunchtime. Nobody wants more pimples, either. What’s the solution? Try using one of the best setting sprays for acne-prone skin.
If you’re wondering how to choose a setting spray that doesn’t clog pores and is actually good for acne-prone skin, then you’re in the right place. We reviewed the best matte setting sprays below:
|The best setting sprays for acne-prone skin||Why we love them|
|Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray||
|Rimmel Stay Matte Primer and Stay Matte Setting Spray||
|NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Makeup Setting Spray, Matte Finish||
|Thank Me Later Makeup Setting Spray||
|e.l.f Matte Magic Mist & Set||
|Skindinavia Oil Control Makeup Primer Spray for Matte Finish||
|IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better Setting Spray+||
|Dermablend Lock and Last Water-Resistant Setting Spray||
- What to look for in a makeup setting spray
- Best Setting Sprays for Acne-Prone Skin in 2023
- Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
- Rimmel Stay Matte Primer and Stay Matte Setting Spray
- NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Makeup Setting Spray, Matte Finish
- Thank Me Later Makeup Setting Spray
- e.l.f Matte Magic Mist & Set
- Skindinavia Oil Control Makeup Primer Spray for Matte Finish
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better Setting Spray+
- Dermablend Lock and Last Water-Resistant Setting Spray
What to look for in a makeup setting spray
As we researched, we selected water-based products that are labeled as non-comedogenic. But makeup setting spray is much more than that.
We also looked for mattifying sprays that control oil and extend makeup wear to the maximum. The less time we spend touching up, the better.
On the other hand, we acknowledge that people with acne-prone skin might also struggle with dryness because of anti-acne medications. We included a couple of brands that offer moisturizing setting sprays, too.
Last, we checked the label for no-nos like parabens and fragrances that could irritate sensitive skin.
Best Setting Sprays for Acne-Prone Skin in 2023
Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray
This makeup setting spray was put to the test during a week-long study. Participants had dry, oily, or combination skin. By the end of the week, over 88% of them said this was the best product for making their makeup last.
If you check reviews, you’ll see that this is a popular setting spray that provides exactly what it promises. It’s an award-winner that keeps all types of makeup in place for up to sixteen hours. The waterproof formula resists fading, settling, and smudging.
It’s water-based and non-comedogenic, but it’s not as mattifying as some options. Instead, it keeps the skin looking natural. Part of the magic comes from its patented Temperature Control Technology which literally keeps makeup from melting.
To apply it, give the bottle a good shake and spray the fine mist in an X shape, then a T shape from 3 to 5 times until the whole face is saturated. It dries quickly so you can get on with your day.
We checked the label and found that it contains an artificial fragrance. If you have extra-sensitive skin, do a patch test just in case.
- Waterproof formula resists humidity and high temperatures to keep makeup from melting
- Water-based and non-comedogenic
- Maintains makeup for up to sixteen hours
- Suitable for dry, combination, and oily skin
- Has an artificial fragrance
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer and Stay Matte Setting Spray
Save your money and try this two-in-one product. It’s both primer and setting spray. Mist it on before applying makeup, then finish everything with a few more spritzes.
It may be a drugstore setting spray, but it’s astonishingly effective. The formula is oil-free and mattifying, making it perfect for acne-prone and oily complexions. It solves the problem of excess shine.
Users say it smells like cucumber water and keeps makeup perfect for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Mattifies and keeps makeup perfect for hours
- Does double duty as a primer and setting spray
- Pleasant fragrance
- Has an artificial fragrance
NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Makeup Setting Spray, Matte Finish
It was a tough call, but we think this is the best drugstore setting spray for acne-prone skin. The formula is downright fabulous for preventing blemishes.
NYX makes both this fragrance-free matte spray and a moisturizing spray, and they look similar, so check the label carefully. The matte spray keeps makeup fresh-looking all day long. No kidding, reviewers say that it keeps foundation from rubbing off on face masks even on sweaty days.
The label lists some unusual ingredients like Mahonia aquifolium root and Plantago lanceolate leaf extracts. Both of these are natural astringents with antioxidants to heal and calm the skin. They are beneficial for beating acne, as are two other ingredients: niacinamide and sodium salicylate. Niacinamide is vitamin B3 and it helps reduce inflammation and protect against environmental stress. Then, sodium salicylate is a form of salicylic acid that keeps pores clear. All of these sound downright wonderful for acne-prone complexions.
- Mattifies and keeps makeup looking fresh all day long
- Packed with antioxidants, astringents, and acne-fighting ingredients
- From a cruelty-free brand
Thank Me Later Makeup Setting Spray
Say goodbye to shiny. This setting spray doesn’t just create a matte finish, but it also controls oil. We saw people comparing it favorably to the fan favorite Urban Decay All Nighter spray. The weightless formula doesn’t leave a residue or make eyebrow hair crunchy.
What’s more, it contains no parabens and it was never tested on animals. Happily, it also comes with a satisfaction guarantee and the promise of a full refund if you’re not thrilled with it.
- Alternative to Urban Decay All Nighter
- Weightless and mattifying, it leaves no sticky or crunchy residue
- Controls oil throughout the day (or night)
- Paraben-free and cruelty-free
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- Has an artificial fragrance
e.l.f Matte Magic Mist & Set
Like NYX, this brand has both moisturizing and mattifying setting sprays, so double-check that you’ve chosen the one you want.
The matte spray is designed to minimize shine all day. Not only does it control oil, but it also has an interesting bonus benefit. If your makeup color starts to fade, spray it to fix it. It’s fortified with green tea, cucumber, aloe, and vitamins to revive the skin, too.
Moreover, it serves as a type of primer if you apply it to your sponge or brush before applying makeup. Not a bad deal when it’s this affordable. We also appreciate that the formula is paraben-free, vegan, and cruelty-free.
- Mattifying spray that controls oil and resists high humidity and sweat
- Revives makeup color when a touchup is needed
- Refreshes the skin with green tea, cucumber, aloe, and vitamins
Regardless of what the name sounds like, it’s both a primer and a setting spray. The waterproof formula is safe for sensitive skin and best for combination and oily complexions.
When used as a primer, it makes large pores and fine lines less noticeable. Regardless of whether you apply it before or after makeup, it helps everything look flawless for sixteen hours or longer.
The brand says the spray creates a “breathable mesh” to keep moisture and heat from melting makeup. It’s no wonder the spray is popular with professional makeup artists.
What’s the magic inside? The label lists willow bark extract which is a known acne-fighter. It also has aloe to hydrate the skin and vitamins to keep it healthy. It contains no parabens, plus it’s vegan and cruelty-free.
- Waterproof, keeps makeup from melting for sixteen hours or longer
- Makes fine lines and large pores less noticeable when used as a primer
- Best for oily and combination complexions, safe for sensitive skin
- Vegan, paraben-free, and never tested on animals
IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better Setting Spray+
Online reviews are helpful, but consumer studies are more reliable. A study done on this setting spray gave it very high marks. Ninety-six percent of the participants said that it made their skin look smooth and feel comfortable all day.
Although it’s not a mattifying spray, it offers up to sixteen hours of oil control to make the most of your makeup without touchups. Instead of a matte finish, it’s natural or even somewhat dewy. That’s why it’s suitable for all skin types, even dry skin.
Heavy-duty moisturizers and layers of makeup are bad news for acne-prone complexions. Instead, spray this onto bare skin and it becomes a hydrating primer. Those with mature skin, especially combination complexions, find that it’s absolutely perfect for their needs. Instead of makeup creasing and caking and turning skin into a cracked desert, the spray (when used before and after makeup application) keeps everything looking flawless.
- Suitable for all skin types, especially mature complexions and combination skin
- Provides up to sixteen hours of oil control
- Makes the skin smooth and radiant, not flat
- Doubles as a lightly hydrating primer
- Has an artificial fragrance
Dermablend Lock and Last Water-Resistant Setting Spray
If you’ve had to deal with hyperpigmentation, you’ve heard about Dermablend. It’s the go-to brand for people with melasma and folks with tattoos they want to hide. But there’s a catch – this brand of makeup performs best if set with finishing powder and setting spray. The spray makes it water-resistant and nearly impervious to rubbing off or smudging.
With that said, there’s no reason why you can’t purchase the setting spray separate from the makeup and use it with a different type. The formula is made for sensitive skin because it’s non-comedogenic and fragrance-free. It’s even been allergy-tested.
If you match the spray with Dermablend makeup and setting powder, you’ll find that the combination keeps makeup flawless for up to twenty-four hours.
Since it’s made for all skin types, it’s not especially mattifying and won’t dry out the skin. Instead, it has a natural-looking finish that keeps makeup from fading or settling into lines. It features ingredients like willow leaf and witch hazel that are beneficial for acne-prone skin, too.
- Water-resistant formula keeps makeup looking fresh for up to twenty-four hours
- Allergy-tested and non-comedogenic
- No artificial fragrance or parabens
- Suitable for all skin types, safe for sensitive complexions
- Non-drying, creates a natural finish that prevents creasing and fading
- Contains witch hazel and willow leaf
If it seems like you’re playing whack-a-mole with pimples, your makeup might be the problem. Choose non-comedogenic products that are suitable for acne-prone skin. The less you have to touch up, the better it is for your face.
We hope our reviews helped you find the best setting spray for your needs today. If it’s performing as promised, we’d love to hear about your experience. Feel free to leave us a comment below.